Monday 24 October 2011

Thing 23 - Reflection - What next?

A bit late, but finally I have reached Thing 23. Not quite Everest, but a conquest none-the-less. CPD23 encouraged me to step outside of my comfort zone and try some new technologies that I have placed on the back-burner for a while. There are a few others that I have committed to trying over summer, as identified in Thing 19 (10 October 2011). There were other things that I knew about, but had let slide, such as becoming more involved in LIANZA and NZLLA. It was good to be reminded to put aside time to reflect on and be more proactive about, my own professional development.

So, what next? I don't envisage any major role changes for myself over the next 2-3 years. While I am studying, it is good to be in a position that not only encourages, but enables me to do so. I don't want to take on extra responsibility that would interfere with my study programme. However, I now realise that there are things that I can do, without over-burdening myself, that will prepare me for the next step when I am ready to take it. I think getting a mentor is probably at the top of that list, as the first thing I need to work out, is where I actually want to go next. Until I do that, it will be impossible to identify any gaps. I need to be more proactive about seeking out and pursuing professional development opportunities that fit within the scope of my current job and that benefit me and my employer simultaneously.

No comments:

Post a Comment