Monday 31 October 2011

Moving into Management Training

I attended a training course this morning for people who are moving into team leader or management roles. The trainer talked about a variety of things, from leader/manager styles and derailing behaviours of first-time managers to Competing Values Framework. Participants were given the opportunity to develop a transition plan. What I appreciated most was the time to consider my strengths and weaknesses. I enjoy working with people and helping others to develop in their careers. I hate having to tell people when their performance needs improvement. I like being liked, and find it uncomfortable when I am in a situation where people are not going to like what it is I have to say. The term "difficult conversations" came up more than once over the course of the morning. I have been to several courses now that deal with learning and communication styles. Many of them use different terminology, but basically place you in one of four quadrants. I usually score highly in the people and detail quadrants, and not so highly in the innovation and driver quadrants. My problem-solving and decision-making skills are the areas I need to develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment