Wednesday 12 October 2011

Thing 21 - Job Applications and Interviews

Yesterday, I was analysing results of a survey conducted to find out what people want to do for the Library Christmas Party this year. I became quite engrossed, nearly forgot an appointment, and actually forgot to eat, which is a very rare occurrence! At the end of the process, I realised that this is something that I enjoy. I have worked on two research projects, and, although there are the low points along the way - especially as the deadline gets closer - I do enjoy the process as a whole. I enjoy the writing process and presenting at conference where possible, so teaching is also on the list. My attention to detail is one of my strengths. I think I have pretty good communication skills as well. I do enjoy interacting with people, so a bit of a strange mix of people skills and analytical skills - which does coincide with communication style tests that I have done. I must say that I find qualitative research more satisfying than quantitative, so I guess that would be where the people skills will be beneficial. There is another research project on the horizon (other than the great Christmas party survey), the finer details of which need to be worked out, but which will be looking at how legal research is taught in New Zealand and at leading Universities around the world, and whether a high quality legal research programme has any baring on employment opportunities for graduates. The fact that I can't wait to get started on this (although I must, as I need to get through a lot of red tape before beginning) tends to suggest that this I have found something that suits my skill suit and personality type.

We are able to use Research Outputs as a way of keeping track of entries for our revalidation journals. Once the information is in the system, it can be output as a CV as well. We are having some training in that next week. Once that has happened, I will input the rambling above into Research Outputs a more succinct, coherent and professional manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment