Wednesday 17 August 2011

CPD23 - Thing 7

Social networking, being a bit of an extrovert, is something I tend to enjoy, within certain limits. I like having a buddy along, whom I can scuttle off to if things get awkward. I am a registerd member of LIANZA (Library and Information Association of Aotearoa New Zealand) and belong to NZLLA (New Zealand Law Librarians' Association). My membership with LIANZA does provide opportunities for networking, as well as professional development opportunities. Often the networking events are outside of work hours and due to study and family commitments, I find it difficult to get along. The LIANZA annual conference is a perfect opportunity for networking. I have attended several in the 10 years in which I have worked in libraries, and have presented papers on two occasions. Unfortunately, since I started working towards a law degree, I have not been able to attend the conference, because I am not able to take the time away from lectures.

I also belong to the Tertiary Libraries Special Interest Group. I joined this to keep in touch with other tertiary librarians, but have done nothing with it so far. Thing 7 has encouraged me to join the list-serv, so hopefully that will engage me more with the network. The last conference was 2010. I hope there will be a conference next year, as these coincide better with the academic breaks.

NZLLA have monthly meetings during lunch times that I am able to attend on a rotating basis with my colleagues. They provide fantastic professional development opportunities, such as how to find Maori Land Law cases. I am looking forward to the NZLLA Conference in Wellington next week and the multitude of professional development and networking activities that will provide.

The University of Auckland Library employs over one hundred professional librarians. As the Law Faculty is somewhat separated from the main campus, finding opportunities to network with other librarians on the campus can be a challenge. The Library provides opportunities for networking and professional development. One of the best ways I have found of networking was joining the organising committee for the Library staff Christmas party last year. We have a little core of four of us, and we have kept in touch throughout the year. We are starting to organise this year's party, and are looking for some more helpers. This isn't too onerous a job, and fits in nicely with my work schedule. If I can find similar opportunities in the other groups I have mentioned, I will sign up, as I have found it a beneficial way of getting to know more of my colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment